Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog was prescribed rimadyl 25mg they prescribed 5 and cut

Customer Question
Hello. My dog was prescribed...
Hello. My dog was prescribed rimadyl 25mg they prescribed 5 and cut them in 1/4. One of my dogs got into the remaining pills that were left I'm not sure how many were left she's been on her medication for about a week now I give her one 1/4 tablet every 12 hours. Should I be concerned about the dog who ate the rest? She's not showing any kind of signs
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?
Customer: I don't think so. The dog that ate them seems fine and acting normal
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/28/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Linda, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Linda. I hope I can help with your question today.

Could you please tell me about how much your other dog weighs?

Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

I'll follow up for Dr. Linda for you. I figure that you already gave 1/2 tablet daily for a week which is equivalent to 3.5 tablets. You began with 5 and so your other dog ingested 1.5 tablets or 37.5 mg. This is the amount I would dose a 37 lb dog twice daily or an 19 lb dog once daily. In general, in otherwise healthy dogs, a review of the ASPCA APCC database historically indicated that fairly severe gastrointestinal signs may be seen at doses exceeding 20 mg/kg (9 mg/lb) and that diuresis to prevent renal damage should be recommended at 40 mg/kg (18 mg/lb) and above (ASPCA APCC Database: Unpublished data, 2001-2009). Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian