Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog has been in and out of this shaking, weakness,

Customer Question
lethargy, and just generally not...
My dog has been in and out of this shaking, weakness, lethargy, and just generally not acting like himself since Sunday night. I gave him a benadryl just in case because he has a history of allergic reactions to bites. I took him to an emergency vet Monday morning. They did blood work, x-rays, and checked his blood pressure and said everything was fine, other than his blood pressure was high. They charged me $644, sent me home with Tramadol for him and said to keep giving him benadryl as well. It's Thursday now, and he still gets these waves where he hangs his head down, shakes, gets very weak, won't play at all which is completely unlike him. His sister is just fine so I know it's not food related. I am worried and I don't even know where to begin.
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/28/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Rebekah Kane, Dog Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Rebekah Kane
Rebekah Kane, Dog Veterinarian

Hi there, I am Dr. Kane and will do my best to assist you with your questions about Chevy. I'm sorry to hear he is not feeling well. It sounds like you have done everything so far that I would have recommended in trying to get to the bottom of things. Unfortunately, the problem seems to be eluding diagnosis. The one thing we do know is that his blood pressure was high, and that he has been weak and acting strangely. Blood pressure elevations can be due to a variety of things, including pain/anxiety or fear, kidney disease, liver disease, adrenal gland disease, among many other things. It can be notoriously difficult to get accurate blood pressure readings on dogs and cats, unfortunately. Oftentimes we have to measure several times over multiple visits in order to get an idea of what the trends look like, rather than taking a single reading at face value, before starting blood pressure medications. In this situation, I would recommend getting him checked out again. Do you live in an area close to a specialty center that has a board certified internal medicine specialist? If so, I would recommend a consult with one. The next steps would be rechecking his blood pressures, and at this point I would consider having an abdominal ultrasound performed as well as one of his heart. Ultrasounds can sometimes pick up more than what an x-ray would. If you are comfortable with sharing your location, I would be happy to do a search and let you know where would be a good place to bring him.

Thank you very much. I am in Warsaw, Indiana. He was seen at the emergency clinic in Fort Wayne, Indiana previously, and they did want me to bring him back in for a blood pressure check, but it's an hour away

Yes, it looks like that is the closest one. There is an internal medicine specialist there, Dr. Totten : http://nives24h.com/specialty-services/internal-medicine.php

I would call and ask to schedule a consult with her, and about getting an abdominal ultrasound in addition to the blood pressure check. Also, it can be helpful to record some of his symptoms to show the Dr. at his appointment.

Great! Thank you so much

Please let me know how everything goes, I will check back periodically. Take care!

Hi Jennifer,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Chevy. How is everything going?
Rebekah Kane
He's actually been back to his old self for the last couple of days even without any meds, so he seems to be fine now.