Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Idk he seemed to be doing great with potty training. Them…

Customer Question
Idk he seemed to...

Idk he seemed to be doing great with potty training. Them all of a sudden he started going potty in the house and very frequently I must add. Not only that but his stool is very watery and had been for aboujt a week and a half. We haven't changed his diet. And we have him his 14 week shots about a week ago. He's very active and very great puppy. Not sure what's wring with him. :(

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?

Tobias

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Tobias?

He is about 40% timber wolf mixed with German sheaperd and husky

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/28/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Sally G., Dog Training Consultant replied 10 months ago
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you. I am sorry your question was not picked up sooner.

How often do you take him out to potty?

What is his age?

What happens when you find an accident in the home?

Have you had his urine and stool tested by your Vet since this started?

We take him potty about 6 to 8 times. He's only about 5 months old. What do you mean when we find the accident in the house? Not test have been done as of yet.

If you find urine on the floor how is that handled?

We usually put him in his crate or put him outside for like 10 minutes and then take him to go potty. He gets treated every time he goes potty outside.

Okay thank you. Being removed from a room for eliminating is seen as a kind of punishment for a dog. Dogs don't put the two together unless it is happening right in front of you. This can over the long run cause the dog to have more accidents.

I would start training again, take the dog out every two hours and when you cannot watch him , put him in a crate. By allowing him to have free roam of the house , not under watchful eye, you are setting him up to fail.

I would also bring in a sample for the dogs urine for testing of a urinary tract infection as this would cause a dog the need to go more often.

This is also still a young pup so backslides are very likely to happen which is another reason they should not have full run of the house.

As for the diarrhea, or soft stool, I would drop that off for testing as well to be sure that there are no parasites or protazoa causing a problem. Worms and protazoa such as coccidia or giardia can go un -noticed in stool.

Each time you take him out to potty take him on leash, give a potty command such as his name and go potty and continue to give this over and over even as he is eliminating, then when he is done praise and reward with a treat he will only get at this time. make is special so he is more inclined to want to go out and potty to get this treat.