Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My husband and I adopted a one year old boxer mix rescue.

Customer Question
We've now had her for...
My husband and I adopted a one year old boxer mix rescue. We've now had her for a little over a year. Very little information was given to us about her background except she was found in poor condition on the side of a highway, had terrible mange and was underweight. Soon after adoption our vet diagnosed her with Cardiomyopathy. She currently takes Lefavour, 40mg in the am and 40mg in the pm to treat the condition. Our vet has told us her prognosis is poor.
She has severe anxiety and is often reluctant to go outside to do her business.
Because of this she often has accidents in the home. Accidents have increased lately with intense shaking prior to asking her if she needs to go outside. The dog will shake severely and have an accident immediately on the floor and run to her crate. Or she will come to your side and go directly near you.
The dog shows signs of aggression if you go near the crate to remove additional soiled fabrics. She will also lick up the urine in the crate.
Are there reasons for the increased frequency? How do we limit the accidents in the home? How can we help this dog be more comfortable in regards ***** *****?
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Edit- Medication is called Sotalol 40mg twice a day.
9/28/2017
Dog Veterinarian: jadedangel57, owner replied 7 months ago
jadedangel57

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

I'm so sorry that no other expert answered your question earlier. Your question just showed up on the list of unanswered questions that I have access to and I wanted to help. I hope you will rate my answer rather than the delay.

I am sorry to hear that her prognoses is not good. I'm sure her separation anxiety is not helping the situation either. You need to remember that it is likely she had a family at one time and was abandoned so she doesn't want to go outside least she be abandoned again. This is understandable especially if she is not being leashed and walked when she goes outside.

There are some ways to help with anxiety. One is obedience training. It helps teach a dog not only commands but establishes you as the boss and leader. It also teaches your dog what to expect of you. She learns that when you say a command you want her to do a specific thing and she doesn't have to guess what you mean. Often people say come in or get out of the "fill in the place", Don't do that, and other similar phrases rather than specific commands so a dog doesn't know exactly what is expected when their owner talks to them. Obedience work incorporates commands into the owners normal daily routines. It brings stability to your dogs daily routine.

I would suggest always taking her out for leashed walks so she doesn't feel she will be abandoned and it can be an extension of the obedience work. Part of obedience training will be walking on a leash at your side. The following site is helpful in helping owners train their dog. Be sure and click on the link to the page on obedience at the bottom. and links on subsequent pages leading to detailed instructions.

http://www.schutzhund-training.com/training_theory.html

For the house training you might use a sod patch especially since her prognoses if not good. You take a large pan like a kitty litter pan or even a baby swimming pool. You create a platform frame with wire on top. Place newspaper or other absorbent material such as wood shavings under the platform and place sod on top of the wire frame. Since it is grass, your dog will go on it. You can remove solids and can spray the urine so it moves through and down into the absorbent material underneath. This lets you use the same piece of sod for a while before needing to replace it. You do need to replace the material under the platform. This will also stop her anxiety about elimination punishment.

I hope I've given you great service. If so, I'd appreciate a 5 star rating. The rating should be based on my answer and not any site issue. Experts are not compensated until a rating is done. If you have any other questions at all, please reply here and I'll be happy to follow up with you even after you have rated. .

Hi Brittany,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Roo. How is everything going?
Customer

Hi Again,

I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going for you and your dog. I strive to provide the best answer possible. Did you find my answer helpful?.

jadedangel57
jadedangel57
jadedangel57, owner