Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

We have a red fox in the neighborhood with mange - i would…

We have a red...

We have a red fox in the neighborhood with mange - i would say he is in the moderate to severe range. I bought some invermectin and hot dogs and we plan to try and dose him tomorrow. I understand that you need to be sure that the sick fox actually eats the bait. In our case, we hve a neighbor who regularly feeds the wildlife (much to our discouragement) and feed this fox around 5pm every day. Therefore I am confident we can get the baited food into the fox. My question is on dosage. I believe it should be anywhere from 2ml every ten days for 6 weeks to an even more aggressive treatment. Since I suspect his immune system is compromised at this point we certainly do not want to overdose however winter is coming and we need to make sure we get going on this. I am not sure if it is too late to save him or not - figured it was worth a try

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the red fox's name?

We all call him chupacabra

9/28/2017
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. I believe that you're referring to sarcoptic mange ("fox mange") which can be addressed with ivermectin dosed at 0.1 - 0.2 mg/lb every 7 days for 4-6 weeks. A 1% ivermectin injectable solution (which can be given orally) contains 10 mg/ml. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Thank you for your response. We administered the first dose in a hot dog on Thursday. He looks like he may have the beginnings of conjunctivitis. Can I give him some oral lysine as well? I don't want to do more harm than good but since I know we can get the medicine in him we will try if we can. Thank you again for your assistance

l-lysine is no longer recommended when addressing the feline herpesvirus (FHV-1) in cats. In two large scale studies in FHV-1+ shelter cats, those that received the lysine experienced increased morbidity (severity of signs) when compared to those given placebo. I don't know of any other reason for that amino acid to be considered. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Is there anything else we could give him or hope it clears on his own as he geta stronger?

Without knowing more about this eye I'm helpless to tell you what might be done for it. Mea culpa.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.