Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog has been sick for 10 days. I had her at the vet's for…

Customer Question
My dog has been...

My dog has been sick for 10 days. I had her at the vet's for 4 nights and she had chronic kidney damage with elevated enzyme and potassium levels. I brought her home Monday because she wasn't eating, but she has also not ate more than an ounce of food since then. Tonight she has vomited 3 times, has bouts of shivering, and is very listless. Any suggestions? Would her abdomen be sore if she had a blockage?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?

Just that she has no interest in food and her vomit is just spit and water. She's getting very weak.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/28/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 10 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. May I have an update on your dog, please?

By the principle of Occam's Razor, her kidneys have continued to fail and other than intensively diuresing (a large volume of fluid given IV) her once again, there would be nothing of vlaue for you to do at home. Yes, an intestinal obstruction would be painful but her vomiting is more likely the result of uremia due to renal failure.