Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 5 year old labradodle. was on the beach today and became…

Customer Question
My 5 year old...

My 5 year old labradodle. was on the beach today and became very interested in some kind of seaweed. She vomited 3 times this afternoon mostly bile, one vomit was a light pink color. She pooped a soft full poop, and one half hour later she had water diarrhea with small spots of blood in it. She's drinking water, I"m reluctant to give her food.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the Labradoodle eat anything unusual?

I think she may have eaten something on the beach.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the Labradoodle's name?

Sadie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sadie?

She's generally healthy with some food allergies.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/28/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

I am so sorry to hear your dog is vomiting with bloody stools. The pink in the vomit is concerning about stomach ulcers as well as the blood in the stool is concerning as this is a sign of colitis (inflammation of the colon) which can lead to more concerning illness and we definitely do not want this to progress. Below is more information on hemorrhagic gastroenteritis or HGE

http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/stomach-intestine-liver-or-pancreas/hemorrhagic-gastroenteritis-hge

First, please remove the water. If there is continued actively vomiting we want to minimize anything orally to stop the nausea and abdominal cramping resulting in vomiting. I know the thought is your pet needs to drink to maintain hydration but if there is actively vomiting even water there is risk of becoming more dehydrated with water intake.

If there is no improvement then please consider having your dog seen by a veterinarian sooner rather than later. They can give injectable medications to bypass the intestinal tract and hopefully get the nausea under control

1- Keep indoors to avoid eating grass/ leaves for 6-8 hours from last vomiting episode

2- Offer a small amount of water (1-2 teaspoons hourly) for a few hours

3- Start Pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg/ pound every 12 hours OR prilosec (omeprazole) 0.5 mg/ pound daily for the next 3 days with the second administration of water (crushed if needed)

4-If no vomiting, offer small amount of white rice and boiled boneless or ground chicken or ground beef. For example, one tablespoon hourly for a few hours then slowly start to increase the amount while reducing the frequency. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

5- If vomiting continues after doing the above, I would encourage having your family veterinarian perform an examination to determine the next step to getting Sadie comfortable.

Indications your dog should be seen by a veterinary er sooner include: sticky gums that are pale, yellow, blue, purple, temperature rectally >103.5, progressive lethargy with less responsiveness to you, vomiting or diarrhea that continues to include blood, resting respiratory rate (breaths per minute) >60, swollen abdomen.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier. How is Sadie? I would love an update when you are able

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman