Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My goldendoodle chewed up a silicone breast prosthesis.

JA: I'm sorry to hear...
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Arlo, 11 months old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Arlo?
Customer: No, I just want to know if the gel is toxic. He doesn't seem sick.
9/28/2017
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

This is a new one for me but reviewing previous discussions on this topic the material is not toxic but the concern is always going to be an obstruction if there were large pieces ingested. If not and as with any ingestion please monitor for vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, reduced appetite but I suspect you won't see any ill effects from this ingestion if the pieces were torn apart.

If seen then please take a few precautions:

- Pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg per pound every 12 hours for 3 days

- Leash walks to help the bait ingredients pass more readily of >15 minutes

- A bland diet of white rice and lean boiled meat such as chicken in small more frequent meals but waiting at least 12 hours after vomiting has subsided if there is this symptom

Please let me know if you have any additional questions I can assist with or clarify.

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

No large pieces were ingested, but the gel seems pretty sticky.

So if it does conglomerate in the stomach this can be an issue

There were no cases of inducing vomiting but if it has been less than a few hours you can consider this since the ingredients are not caustic. You can induce vomiting with 3% hydrogen peroxide 1 tsp per ten pounds then walk around to mix it in the stomach and agitate the lining. If no vomiting within 10-15 minutes it can be repeated once only in hopes of inducing vomiting.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman
I used the hydrogen peroxide and everything turned out fine-- no ill effects.Thank you.

That's great news, thanks so much for the update :)

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian