Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog had an injury to his neck from what we believe was…

Customer Question
My dog had an injury...
My dog had an injury to his neck from what we believe was wearing a bark collar. We didn't really see a puncture wound from the prongs but more like a worn weepy patch. Then we noticed that he may have a few areas that bleed a little but nothing like we are finding it all over the place or dripping. Not seeing anything bright red to indicate active bleeding. but something seems to collect on his fur and dry up leaving a dark, hard patch of fur. I tried to wash it to see if I can see any deeper wound but I can't see much because of the area of the dark fur and the squirminess of a 1 year old pup. He seems to eat, drink and play like normal. He's not at all lethargic. Then last night and today we noticed that one the same side as his wound, his face is a little swollen and there is small bumps underneath the fur. He started shaking his head a little today but doesn't seem itchy. Could there be an infection? We have been washing the sore and using a vet skin spray to assist in healing.
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/28/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Yes, infection is likely. This area needs to have its hair shaved away to better understand the extent of the wound. Infection appears to have spread in the form of facial swelling and the small bumps you've felt. I recommend having his vet attend to the wound. I would expect both topical and systemic antibiotics to be prescribed. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?