Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 5 year old golden retriever was diagnosed with

Customer Question
coccidioides. He was given...
My 5 year old golden retriever was diagnosed with coccidioides. He was given steroids Dexamethasone & Prendizone for 5 days while in the hospital. When I picked him up, all his eyelashes had fallen out, his right eye was all crusted & sunken in (Honers) and he started regurgitating up to 25 times a day. After doing research on internet, I found that you are not to treat fungal diseases with steroids. What do you know about this?
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Its not urgent, because my dog DIED because of hospital.
9/28/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Acute general care for systemic illness and respiratory distress due to coccidioidomycosis involves oxygen supplementation and addressing systemic hypotension if present. Mild respiratory cases may resolve without medications but antifungal therapy is often instituted to avoid dissemination of the fungus. Broad spectrum antibiotics and immunosuppressive medications should be avoided. I don't know why those glucocorticoids (steroids) were administered. They would have needed to be given in an antiinflammatory rather than immunosuppressive dose to not be life-threatening. Were you told why they were administered?

They WERE given in anti-inflammatory doses, but they shouldn't have been given at all. Not only did they give him steroids before the test results were back, they continued to give him steroids.

It's not a drug I would consider for such a patient unless he suffered from a steroid-responsive disorder in addition to the fungal infection and that disorder was more life-threatening than the fungal infection. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

no, there were no other issues. They told me they weren't familiar with the disease, so I started researching myself and read about it.

I understand. Your have a justifiable complaint that should be directed first at your dog's attending vet(s) and if you can't get satisfaction, you can direct your complaint to peer review of the local veterinary association to which the vet(s) belong.

He was given Dexamethasone via IV for 5 days, then Prednisone for 10 days.
ok. I moved to Oklahoma from Nevada so I could take him to OSU. He was seen by many doctors, so I have an uphill battle.

I'm confused. Earlier you posted that "...my dog DIED because of hospital." Please clarify.

he died. But I am going to file a complaint so I can make sure this doesn't happen to any other dog. I spent over $4,500.00 to have them kill my dog by negligence.
I want "justice for johnny"!!!!

You also have the option of complaining to the Nevada State Board of Veterinary Examiners here: https://www.nvvetboard.us/glsuiteweb/clients/nvbov/public/Complaint.aspx

You may receive an inappropriate follow-up from the site ostensibly sent by me. It wasn't and I apologize in advance should you receive it.

I don't live in Nevada anymore, I'm in Oklahoma. Two vets I took him to in Nevada never even tested him for this disease.

Here you go: http://www.okvetboard.com/typical-cases

I already downloaded their form. thanks anyways

You're quite welcome.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian