Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Not quite sure. Was walking her, and let her off her leash…

Customer Question
Not quite sure. Was...

Not quite sure. Was walking her, and let her off her leash for a moment. Next I noticed her with a little cl ear piece of plastic on her mouth. My home , unfo rtunayely had street people about the neighborhood that are on drugs. I'm afraid she's gotten into something.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

No. She is acting very hyper. Eyes dialsyed, and heart palpitations.

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will ask you more detailed questions to find out what is causing this. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

Temperature up as well.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/28/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. May I have an update on your dog, please?

It does sound as if she had ingested a prescription or recreational drug.

Good morning, and thanks for your response. She is much better. I took a syringe filled with ice water and gave her several rounds to hydrate and help cool her off, because I couldn't get her to take water. She finally also drank a small bowl of milk and had a ravenous appetite. Also I administered a very small amount of Xanax to her to slow her down. I know it's not recommended, but no choice, and it seemed to help. This morning she is world's better. However she still is coming off of whatever it was which I suspect some type of amphetamine. But she was eating this morning, and went to the bathroom. Eyes still a little dialated and red, but all in all she's much better.

What a good update! I suspect that you're correct. The benzodiazapines such as diazepam (Valium) and alprazolam (Xanax) are often ineffective but not harmful in these cases. In any event, I never argue with success. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian