Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

He just swallowed a 5" cooked chicken bone. He's a 36 lb.

Customer Question
He just swallowed a 5...
He just swallowed a 5 " cooked chicken bone. He's a 36 lb. Australian Shepherd....
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Frisbie
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Frisbie?
Customer: Healthy.....don't think he did much chewing on it before it was consumes
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/27/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- Is he showing any symptoms?

No symptoms...just ate it

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

OK

As you may already know the concern is that the bone can cause an obstruction or perforation of the intestinal tract. But, more often than not dogs are able to digest the bones without any problem. Inducing vomiting is not indicated as the bone can damage the esophagus on the way out. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol.

2- Do not induce vomiting.

3- Change his diet for the next 2-3 days to rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%). The idea is for the rice to help move the bone out in the feces if undigested while protecting the intestinal tract.

4- If during the next few days you see the following symptoms: lethargy, anorexia, vomiting, constipated or diarrhea, etc. follow up immediately with a veterinarian. These are all signs of a possible obstruction or perforation of the intestinal tract. In the meantime, observe him and change his diet as above then wean him back into his regular diet.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian