Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She is a 14 year old French Bulldog, she has been being sick…

Customer Question
She is a 14...

She is a 14 year old French Bulldog, she has been being sick for about 9 days now. She is really depressed and every time she has water or food now she throws it back up. At time she seems really bloated, and tries to poo straining a lot and passing a lot of gas but does manage to pass a little poo. We took her to the vet 5 days ago and they put her on Antibiotics and Metacam. She has now finished all the AntiBiotics and still bring very sick. She has a cough and can look irritated in the throat

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

Not that we notice accept a few 1.5 inch Mushrooms a few days before it started but I doubt they could do it

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Maya

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Maya?

The vet checked her over and thought it could be an infection in the throat making her sick, and she had a rough voice. But at time it really looks like the vomiting is from a stomach upset. At times it really foamy, so much that she falls on her side and I have to massage the liquid out. Other times its yellow bile and a bit of foam, or after water it water and a bit of foam.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/28/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner and I'm sorry to hear of this with Maya. Regretfully, this is a patient who needs to be in hospital on IV fluids and fed parenterally (IV in this case). Antibiotics don't appear to be the answer and meloxicam (Metacam) shouldn't be prescribed whenever gastrointestinal distress exists as such a nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drug is likely to only exacerbate Maya's distress. Her problem isn't likely in her throat but her throat can certainly become irritated from regurgitation and vomiting as she's doing.

Mushroom toxicity is a significant concern unless you're talking about edible mushroom we all eat. There are too many possible causes of such a persistent illness in a 14 year old to list in this venue. I would perform a diagnostic gastrointestinal panel of blood and urine tests, +/- ultrasound Maya's abdomen while she was hospitalized on supportive care and then treat her more specifically once I saw the results of her testing. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Ok thanks, ***** ***** was cautious with regards ***** ***** her there as she really gets distressed at the vets. The mushrooms were left over from our food so weren't toxic. I will book vets today and pass on your recommendations.

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian