Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She is 15. she can still walk though wobbily. she still

Customer Question
She is 15. she...

She is 15. she can still walk though wobbily. she still wants her food and to go outside but she cant squat anymore. so she is urinating and defacating on her blanket while laying down. I'm retired so I take her out all day but she refuses to go. this has been going on for three months and I'm getting exhausted. I don't know what to do

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?

Reese

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Reese?

She has had nueralogical issues. idiomatic vestibulary twice in the last three years

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/28/2017
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 8 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I am very sorry to see that no one has reached out to you before now. How is your companion at this time?

The same

Has she had any diagnostics yet, such as x-rays of the hips or back?

Is she on any medication?

No and no

Give Reese's age and the symptoms you're seeing, this would be wise. I am concerned that with her wobbly nature and inability to squat any longer you're seeing signs of arthritis. If your companion is not already on a joint supplement, I would recommend starting one. My favorite are http://www.glycoflex.com products. At home, you can administer aspirin if no other medications are being given. Dosing info is available here: http://www.veterinaryplace.com/dog-medicine/aspirin-for-dogs/ I would also recommend talking to your vet about using canine-safe NSAID therapy as well as pain medication therapy, such as rimadyl combined with tramadol, to offer the most relief from discomfort. These medications should make it easier for her to get into a squatting position and keep her from just laying down and using the restroom on herself.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 7 months ago

Checking in. How is Reese?

Thank you for your advice and concern. There really is nothing you can do for me and Reese. This is not my first dog. I know what is happening, as long as she is in no pain and happy I will take care of her. Thanks and there is no need for further communication
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse