Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She is a 2 yr English Mastiff/German Short-hair Pointer mix.

Customer Question
She is a 2...

She is a 2 yr English Mastiff/German Short-hair Pointer mix. 9am last night she came home from an adventure and was limping slightly. This morning the leg is swollen and she doesn't want to stand on it. Doesn't appear to be in any pain, wags tail as usual, and only appears slightly subdued. She hadn't been to the bathroom today. What do you suggest?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

The inside of leg is slightly scraped like she may having fallen in a hole.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Snapper

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Snapper?

Not sure if it's relevant to this, week 1/2 ago she & her Mom (now at Rainbow Bridge) we're attacked by yellow jackets, but she has bounced back other than grieving.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/27/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hi. My name is***** I'm sorry to hear about this situation with Snapper. IF the initial presentation was limping slightly that progressed to a swollen leg and no weight bearing on it now, then that "slight scrape" could be the key to what is going on. Could something have punctured the muscle / poked it / bit it to cause all this? In some areas snake bites and spider bites and scorpions gets brought up. In other areas, being in a fight with some creature - raccoon, ground hog, another dog, etc... could have gotten ahold of the leg and done this. My best recommendation is to get her to your vet so they can evaluate her and see what needs to be done next. More than likely a course of oral antibiotics, pain medications and possibly time are the treatments needed. I would try to get this going as soon as possible if there is an infection going on that could progress.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian