Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 9 year old doxie female has had some blood in her stools…

Customer Question
My 9 year old...

My 9 year old doxie female has had some blood in her stools the past day and her stools seem softer than usual. She seems fine otherwise. She is eating and alert.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?

Roxie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Roxie?

She is neutered.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/27/2017
Dog Veterinarian: jadedangel57, owner replied 8 months ago
jadedangel57

Hi jaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

The most common reason for blood in the stool is parasites such as worms or a protozoan infection such as coccidia or giardia. The most common worms found in dogs are: Roundworms, Hookworms, Tapeworms, and Whipworms and Heartworms

In some cases these worms are passed from the dog to dog or even mother to pup in the case of puppies. In other cases such as tapeworms, they are contracted by other methods such as ingesting an infected flea. Most over the counter medicine will only kill one or two types of worms, so your best bet is to take a fecal sample to your vet to determine the type of worms your dog may have and then decide on treatment. Dogs should be checked for worms periodically even if they appear healthy. This is so if your pet does become ill, you are not fighting a worm infestation along with a more serious problem.

For additional information about worms, see this site

http://www.thepetcenter.com/exa/worms.html

http://www.truecompanionvet.com/site/view/124515_CanineIntestinalParasites.pml

Common dewormers are Panacur, which is a prescription product so you need to obtain it from your Vet and it works on roundworms and whipworms. Wormers labeled as Pyrantel Pamoate are the best over the counter medication for roundworms. Drontal plus is also a prescription product and is used for the treatment of Tapeworms, though dewormers with praziquantel work well against tapeworms. Many heartworm preventatives also help control whipworms and roundworms. Another reason to keep your dog on Heartworm medication.

Coccidia manifests as mild or severe diarrhea depending on how infected they are. If it is severe, there may be blood and mucous in the stool along with voming and loss of appetitie leading to dehydration You can read about it here:

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=2&cat=1622&articleid=727

Information on giardia can be found here:

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/giardia-in-dogs/page1.aspx

Symptoms of giardia are diarrhea with possible terrible smell, mucousy stool and sometimes bouts of vomiting.

Other causes could be anal growths, infected anal glands and inflammation within the large intestine. You can read about the various cause of red blood in the stool here:

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/hematochezia-blood-in-stool-in-dogs/page1.aspx

I hope I've given you great service. If so, I'd appreciate a 5 star rating. The rating should be based on my answer and not any site issue. Experts are not compensated until a rating is done. If you have any other questions at all, please reply here and I'll be happy to follow up with you even after you have rated. .

jadedangel57
jadedangel57
jadedangel57, owner