Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 20 pound dog ate a Sentinel pill meant for my 85 pound…

Customer Question
My 20 pound dog...

My 20 pound dog ate a Sentinel pill meant for my 85 pound dog. The small dog had received his Heart Guard pill two days earlier. The small dog has not shown any symptoms of being sick but I'm concerned that there could be a problem with all of this medicine. It has been 24 hours since he ate the Sentinel.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/27/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I AM NOT SET UP TO MAKE PHONE CALLS AND DO NOT SEND THE REQUESTS, BUT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ONLINE. Chances are he will be fine. If you haven't seen any problems in 24 hours, I wouldn't expect any, but I would give it until 48 hours to say he is out of the clear. The medication in those heart worm preventatives are at low dosages and usually safe even if the wrong dose is given. Both ingredients for heart worm prevention leave the system in 24 hours anyway. They are just purge dewormers. We use to give much higher doses on a daily basis to treat Demodectic mange. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. John

Hello. I was just following up to see how your dog is doing and to see if you have any other questions.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian