Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I just carried my tcup poodle out. He was having problems…

Customer Question
I just carried my...

I just carried my tcup poodle out. He was having problems trying to poop poop... finally he got three little balls come out..but all blood!!! He's acting fine and just ate breakfast...but concerned!!!

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

He has a very delicate stomach...he's only allowed to eat certain foods...

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/27/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 10 months ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I AM NOT SET UP TO MAKE PHONE CALLS AND DO NOT SEND THE REQUESTS, BUT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ONLINE. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately. If you have not responded back in 10 minutes, it may be a longer before I can get back to you. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

Was the stool actually formed?

Was it just pure blood he defecated or was it blood tinged stool?

It was formed pellets...covered in blood.

Thanks for the information. He most likely has some inflammation in his colon (colitis). Normally that causes soft stool or diarrhea and may be blood tinged. It sounds more like he has a fecal impaction. If there was a lot of blood on it, that would make me concerned about a potential mass or foreign body in the colon. It could just be really bad inflammation, but that usually doesn't create that much blood. He may be eating and acting normal now, but I am concerned that something more serious could be going on. Hopefully not, but I would definitely have your vet check him out today. I would especially want to do a rectal exam to see how much stool in is there and if they can feel any masses. If full of harder fecal matter, he needs an enema to clean him out first. They may need to run some blood work or get an x-ray as well, but I would definitely start with a rectal exam. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Hello. I was just following up to see how your Poodle is doing and to see if you have any other questions.

Thank-you...I called my vet...I appreciate your advice!!! You were very helpful!!!��

You are very welcome. Let me know if you have other concerns.