Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Eye watering. Belle is 6 months old I have tried many

Customer Question
eye watering Veterinarian's Assistant:...

eye watering

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

Belle is 6 months old I have tried many different grain free dog food

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Belle?

I have her on filtered water and her eyes continue to soak her face. she has a white face and reddish brown streaks from her eyes to her mouth. she is a malitpoo

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/27/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 10 months ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I AM NOT SET UP TO MAKE PHONE CALLS AND DO NOT SEND THE REQUESTS, BUT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ONLINE. So, some of these breeds, including Poodles and Maltese dogs, have a condition called epiphora, which is basically where they just tear excessively. It is a genetic condition, but it is more of a cosmetic problem. There is no cure for it. Now, sometimes the tear ducts may be blocked, and your vet can try to flush them out (under anesthesia). Given her age, that most likely isn't the problem, though. I would have your vet check her eyes thoroughly to make sure there are no stray or misplaced hairs that could be rubbing on the eyes as well. Sometimes they can have a stray hair growing under the eyelid, called an ectopic cilia. The best thing to do is keep the hair trimmed close under the eyes. There is a product called Angel Eyes that some owners have had success with in decreasing or eliminating the tear stains. I know some people have also had success with giving a teaspoon of plain yogurt daily to eliminate the tear stains. Both the tears and saliva have enzymes in them that cause that red color with the white fur. The yogurt somehow neutralizes it. It can give some dogs an upset stomach, though. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Hello. I was just following up to see how your Maltipoo is doing and to see if you have any other questions.