Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog ate 5 tablets of 50mg mercaptopurine. She weighs

Customer Question
My dog ate 5...

My dog ate 5 tablets of 50mg mercaptopurine. She weighs about 60 lbs. we don't know if she got it last night before going in her crate or after 6:30 am today. Do we need to see the vet?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Shadow, 6 yrs old. Thank you!

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/27/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

How much does your dog weigh, so I can figure out what dose he got?

If he got this in the last hour, I would recommend making him vomit. If he got it last night, it would be too late for that.

60 lbs
What next ?

The expected side effects would be GI effects (nausea, anorexia, vomiting, diarrhea) such as bone marrow suppression, hepatotoxicity, pancreatitis.

I am sorry but I can't make calls for the website; that offer did not come from me!

Should we go to the vet?

I see he is 60 pounds, so he got 9 mg per kg. Since this is not a veterinary drug, I am not finding out out serious this is. The best thing to do is to call ASPCA poison control(###) ###-#### They would have the most information about an unusual drug in dogs like this.

Anything over 2.2 mg per kg is an overdose, and he got 9 mg per kg if he got all 5 tablets.

ASPCA poison control will tell you what to do, if you should to to your vet, and will work with your vet throughout the case.

It might be helpful to give him activated charcoal at a vet office, to absorb any in his intestines, but that depends on how long ago he got it.

More reading: It sounds like he is at risk for vomiting enough to get an ulcer, if he got 250 mg. That might require medical care. If he were mine, I would be calling ASPCA poison control, and going to the office to start stomach protecting medication.

Please let me know if this is helpful, and how he is doing.

If he got this last night, I would expect him to be vomiting by now, so maybe he did not get it, or just got it this morning. If he got it less than an hour ago, I might try to get him to vomit.

How is Shadow doing; I did not hear back from you.

Kindly consider rating my answer (smiley faces or stars) if this helped!

She is doing fine .

Glad to hear it. Thanks for the update.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian