Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He threw up 8 times in about 6 hours and some of the newest…

Customer Question
He threw up 8...

He threw up 8 times in about 6 hours and some of the newest vomit is very mucusy and red it looks like blood

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

No not that I am aware of. We changed dog food but that's been a few weeks now

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Crash and he is two

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Crash?

No he is a normal pup no issues in the past

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/27/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 10 months ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Hello, again, I will do my best to help you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is he lethargic?

2- How much does he weigh?

3- Any pre existing medical conditions?

4- Is he on any medication?

5- Any other symptoms?

He seems a little sleepy
About 80lbs
No medical condition or medication
He will not drink water

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. No need to accept the phone request. Thank you.

Friend, vomiting can be caused by many different medical conditions. When we see blood in the vomit common possible causes in a young dog like Crash are ingestion of a foreign body, infections, toxicity, and less likely part of a systemic disease, etc. to name a few causes. To pinpoint the exact underlying cause Crash would need a hands-on examination, x-rays and blood work as an initial screening test. Treatment will be based on exam and test results. Strongly recommend having him checked as soon as you can. In the meantime, this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. Start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 20mg tablet every 12 hours. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 3-4 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 3-4 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, he can continue to have water. Leave him without food for 8-12 hours then offer a small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination, x-rays and blood work as an initial screening test. If cost is a concerned I would look into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter