Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Its more of General Question hoping you can help, If a 5…

Customer Question
HI its more of...

HI its more of General Question hoping you can help, If a 5 month old chow chow got a laceration on its neck 4inch length what would be the procedure and it would it still have a good chance of living?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Is the Chow Chow bleeding a lot?

Um since its a general question, idk. um lets say its bleeding moderatly?

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the Chow Chow's name?

Its more of Essay i was working on, just thought it be easier to ask someone.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the Chow Chow?

No i dont think so.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/27/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. A laceration of that size should be sutured closed after the wound was thoroughly irrigated with an antimicrobial solution such as chlorhexidine and, if necessary, debrided of devitalized tissue. A systemic antibiotic might then be prescribed for 5-7 days. There's no reason to believe that such a laceration would be life-threatening unless uncontrolled bleeding had occurred. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian