Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Our 31/2 yr oldkelpie cross,she is new to our home.have 3…

Customer Question
Our 31/2 yr oldkelpie...

Our 31/2 yr oldkelpie cross,she is new to our home.have 3 acres she can run in but keeps digging under the fence to get out into road.adorable,become famiypet ,but we need to stop this habit as we live in bush area.she can be hurt outside our fence.in with me most of the time.thank you veronica

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?

Gypsy she is excellent 9in the house

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

She is desexed.quiet,very loving,does as she is told except for this fence problem

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/27/2017
Dog Veterinarian: jadedangel57, owner replied 7 months ago
jadedangel57

Hi jaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

I'm so sorry that no other expert answered your question earlier. Your question just showed up on the list of unanswered questions that I have access to and I wanted to help. I hope you will rate my answer rather than the delay.

There are a few things you can do to stop her from escaping. A method I’ve used with great success for escape diggers (digging at bottom of fence) is to bury chicken wire along the edge of the fence and cover it with a layer of dirt. Dogs don’t like the feel of it on their nails and stop digging. This would work if you want to stop the digging in specific places. That may not be feasible with the amount of space you have to fence in.

Another alternative that might be best for your situation would be a pet only hot wire/electric fence run about 6 inches from the bottom of the fence.

This is similar to what they use for horses and cows but a much smaller voltage. They make plastic holders for the wire that attach to chain link. One controller should power that amount of fencing. They do shock, but I can assure you that it is not a bad shock as I personally touched it and got shocked before I would allow it to be used for my rotties. It only took my dogs getting shocked once each to learn to stay away from the wire. My dogs would pull the chain link off the bottom rail of their kennel and fencing too. I used this and it solved the problem.. The following site has the main unit though the next site sells complete kits. Lowes and tractor supply stores sell these as should any feed type store.

http://www.zarebasystems.com/store/electric-fence-accessories/kits

http://www.nextag.com/electric-pet-fence/search-html

You can also go with an underground fence system which is pretty cheap if you buy one used. Instant fence systems are more expensive and won't allow her access to the whole property since their range is limited but it would keep her out of the road. These can be found on the above page as well or most auction sites.

I hope I've given you great service. If so, I'd appreciate a 5 star rating. The rating should be based on my answer and not any site issue. Experts are not compensated until a rating is done. If you have any other questions at all, please reply here and I'll be happy to follow up with you even after you have rated. .

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer

Hi Again,

I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going for you and your dog. I strive to provide the best answer possible. Did you find my answer helpful?.

jadedangel57
jadedangel57
jadedangel57, owner