Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I returned home from work today and my miniature poodle is…

Customer Question
I returned home from...

I returned home from work today and my miniature poodle is walking very cautiously, won't jump onto bed. I went to pick her up

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

She seems to be her back leg. She seems to be walking very stiff. When I tried to pick her up she wined and tried to bite me. Very unusual behavior. Can I give her something for pain?

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Abigail almost 12

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Abigail?

She is an anxious dog, sensitive digestive system

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/27/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Sally G., Dog Training Consultant replied 8 months ago
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you.

The most common reason for this breed to act the way she is, especially when she went to bite you, is a disc issue along the spine. There is a soft tissue inside that cushions the disc and the nerve inside. Sometimes this hardens and presses on the nerve causing pain.

You will see rear leg lameness, you will see that jumping on furniture or walking up steps are a problem, you will see the dog reluctant to move from place to place at normal walking pace, a possible arch to the back and more.

If the dog loses the use of the rear legs then it is an emergency and you should seek Vet help immediately.

I am going to direct you to a link that goes over intervertebral disc disease for further reading of symptoms and treatments.

I would suggest you try getting her into a crate so you can safely move her and bring her to your Vet for pain medication and anti inflamatory.

There are other reasons for rear leg limping such as a problem with the knee cap or a torn cruciate ligament. This would need to be diagnosed as well through a hands on exam..

Intervertebral disc disease lower spine

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/intervertebral-disc-disease-thoracolumbar-area-in-dogs/page1.aspx

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

DakotaSouthFive