Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My small dachshund has a swollen belly and his bowel

Customer Question
My small dachshund has...

My small dachshund has a swollen belly and his bowel movements are small.he is eating fine but overall not his normal self.his movements are sluggish around house and outside.noticed a couple of days ago thought it would clear up now worried.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dachshund. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dachshund?

Nothing that i can point out.will take him to vet

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/27/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 10 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

How old is your doxi, please? When I hear "swollen belly" I worry about an abdominal effusion - free fluid in the abdominal cavity - which can arise secondary to heart, liver, or kidney failure, and even intestinal malfunction. The best scenario is that the swelling is due to gaseous distenstion of his intestinal loops. Right-sided heart failure is more of a concern in older dogs - particularly in those in which a heart murmur had been heard previously. A sick liver or kidneys which isn't producing enough of the small protein albumin or is leaking albumin through them, respectively, will predispose to fluid accumulation as well because albumin is needed to keep fluids in vessels and out of body cavities such as the abdomen.

His vet will want to perform a thorough physical exam including diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests, X-rays or ultrasound of your doxi's abdomen, and a fluid analysis if fluid can be confirmed to be present in his abdomen. Treatment is then predicated upon the results of testing. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I have to leave my computer for the night but I promise to reply in the morning if need be.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Sorry for delay my brother died.going to vet tomorrow thank you for help
Macon is still as same.he is 8 years old will contact you after visit best regards

I understand. I'll watch for your next post.