Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

11 year old 13 1/2 inch beagle eight normal meals today and…

Customer Question
11 year old 13...

11 year old 13 1/2 inch beagle eight normal meals today and we just discovered she also tour open container of her dehydrated vegetables that we mix with meat and water

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Problems with drinking can be serious. I'm glad you noticed it. The Expert will know what to do. What is the beagle's name?

Scout

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Scout?

We think she ate that dehydrated dog food after she had had a full meal which consisted of maybe a quarter cup of white rice and a another quarter cup mixed together of her come prepared dehydrated food with the meet

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/27/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

What was the volume of the dehydrated vegetables? How much does Scout weight? Is Scout showing any symptoms of gi upset or restlessness this evening? Thank you

I am online another 25 minutes tonight to assist you

If Scout has not shown any signs I wouldn't expect to see any from this ingestion but as with any ingestion please monitor for vomiting, diarrhea vs constipation, lethargy, reduced appetite but I suspect you won't see any ill effects from this ingestion if he hasn't at this time.

If seen then please take a few precautions:

- Pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg per pound every 12 hours for 3 days

- Leash walks to help the dehydrated food pass more readily of >15 minutes

- Tomorrow a bland diet of white rice and lean boiled meat such as chicken in small more frequent meals but waiting at least 12 hours after vomiting has subsided if there is this symptom

Please let me know if you have any additional questions I can assist with or clarify.

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian