Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog had diarrhea yesterday. today on the sofa she gaging…

Customer Question
my dog had diarrhea yesterday...
my dog had diarrhea yesterday. today on the sofa she gaging then she laid on the side fell of the floor she was still for a few mins, laid on her back then got up like she neede to go the the bathroom. Then it stopped.
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/27/2017
Dog Veterinarian: jadedangel57, owner replied 8 months ago
jadedangel57

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

I'm not sure if the diarrhea had anything to do with the gagging and collapse your dog experienced though poisoning can lead to seizures which is one of the possible causes for the collapse as is a heart condition such as syncope.

Your dog may have experienced a seizure even though there was no drooling or shaking. Seizures can manifest in many different ways. You can read about seizures and the different kinds here:

http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-angels.com/site_map.htm

A dog may also "faint" in which they fall to the ground usually on their side, stare straight ahead and seem paralyzed which indicates a heart problem.. This is called syncopy and can be read about here:

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/syncope-in-dogs/page1.aspx

http://www.vin.com/proceedings/Proceedings.plx?CID=WALTHAMOSU2002&PID=2992

Since heart issues can lead to death and too frequent seizures can also be life threatening as well, I do recommend you schedule a vet visit as soon as you can get in to have a check up done.

I hope I've given you great service. If so, I'd appreciate a 5 star rating. The rating should be based on my answer and not any site issue. Experts are not compensated until a rating is done. If you have any other questions at all, please reply here and I'll be happy to follow up with you even after you have rated. .

Dog Veterinarian: jadedangel57, owner replied 7 months ago

Hi Again,

I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going for you and your dog. I strive to provide the best answer possible. Did you find my answer helpful?.

jadedangel57
jadedangel57
jadedangel57, owner