Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I think it is time to put her to sleep. Can you tell me what…

Customer Question
I think it is...

I think it is time to put her to sleep. Can you tell me what is the best way to put her to sleep and what happens after she is put to sleep. can you also give an average price

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?

Her name is ***** ***** she is 15 1/2. she is a Shi Tzu

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Princess?

She is loosing bladder control,almost completely blind, can hear, and her back legs sometimes give out

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/27/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

I am so sorry that you are at this point with your senior friend Princess.

Your veterinarian will help aid you in this process of euthanasia, typically costing $120-200 for euthanasia and cremation (depending on whether you want ashes back is the variable in cost).

Every veterinarian has a different protocol for euthanasia but most veterinarians will sedate and put in an iv catheter to give the medication to euthanize. This is a medication that is an overdose of an anesthetic so in essence she will just go to sleep. I personally use a sedative so that my patients can sit with their people while they get sleepy then come in to give the final injection, the entire process lasting 20-30 minutes.

Some areas do have home euthanasia services and some veterinary clinics will offer this to the clients that are with them longterm. I have clients that prefer to do this at home while others don't want to associate their house with this process. You also can stay with her during the process or elect to leave her in the hands of your veterinary clinic and staff

I hope this helps answer your questions but please let me know how else I can assist you tonight

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian