Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Sporadic vomiting. The vet said it was empty stomach

vomiting so she eats a...
sporadic vomiting. The vet said it was empty stomach vomiting so she eats a small portion of Science diet canned food for glucose management. has been better for a few weeks and then she has vomited bile the last two days. didn't eat much yesterday and then ate breakfast and vomited her food. she was lethargic today. I fed her a scrambled egg, then she ate some dry food and now seems to feel better. I'm wondering if she has a blood sugar issue. I know she won't eat dry food three times a day bit can I give her a scrambled egg every day? It seems to help for that extra meal. She's a yorkie/ schnauzer mix (snorkie). Weighs about 15/16 lbs. and is 18 months old.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the Yorkie?
Customer: She is fine when she eats three meals but one of them seems to need to be a scrambled egg. ( i have tried many different kinds of dry food. she only eats science diet. but loves eggs. Any other food she can eat that will help? cottage cheese or....??
9/27/2017
jadedangel57

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

If your dog is vomiting when she has an empty stomach then it is likely excess bile. There are some ways you can help with excess bile and that might also affect your dog's eating habits. You can help by adding a probiotic to her food such as fortiflora or you can give a small amount of yogurt to add good bacteria to your dog's system.

Feeding smaller more frequent meals can help as well with a small one right before bedtime. This helps keep food in her stomach at night which can cut down on excess bile. Pepcid can also help and should be given about 45 minutes before meal time. Read about Pepcid dosages and usage information here:

http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid

Eggs are fine as is yogurt as well. I hope I've given you great service. If so, I'd appreciate a 5 star rating. The rating should be based on my answer and not any site issue. Experts are not compensated until a rating is done. If you have any other questions at all, please reply here and I'll be happy to follow up with you even after you have rated. .

Are there other foods she can eat to help add a couple of meals? Dog food is not her favorite.

There are lots of food that dogs can eat and many owners feed a homemade diet which most dogs seem to love. It is more of a case of what foods you should not give your dog so let me give you a list of those and then a link to a home made diet site.

https://www.caninejournal.com/foods-not-to-feed-dog/

Diets can be found here:

https://www.whole-dog-journal.com/issues/15_7/features/Home-Prepared-Dog-Food-Nutritional-Information_20568-1.html

Thank you so much.

You are very welcome.

Where is your practice?

I'm in North Carolina and work mostly in rescue and on here.

jadedangel57
jadedangel57
jadedangel57
jadedangel57, owner