Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog who is 12 years old woke us up in the middle of the…

Customer Question
My dog who is...

My dog who is 12 years old woke us up in the middle of the night suddenly very anxious. Since then she has stay right next to me, slept next to me, followed me everywhere. Could this be medical?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help your dog. What is the dog's name?

She's very anxious, her name is Honey.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Honey?

Only on a med for incontinence.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Honey is 12. She is boxer greatdane mix. She had two knee surgeries years ago. Does not seem in pain. Very sudden behavior change. Follow me even into the closet in the morning. Trying to climb in chair with me to sit on my lap. Never sat on my lap in her life. Still eating , drinking, going potty okay. Medical or psychological? Maybe needs something for anxiety?
9/27/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Sally G., Dog Training Consultant replied 8 months ago
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you.

Dogs that become clingy like that usually have something that really frightened or hurt them (behavior wise) or medically, they may have had a seizure as this will make them very clingy to the owner or in some cases very distant.

Given your girls age, I would watch for any seizure activity. Usually dogs that get this later in life it usually has to do with something pressing on the brain such as a tumor.

Another possibility is she is experiencing canine cognitive dysfunction ((CCD) which sometimes brings about sundowners as well. CCD is much like human dementia. With Sundowners, a dog can become very restless at night and will sleep much of the day.

I would take notice from this point of any unusual activity and make notes on what you see so you can discuss them with the dogs doctor. When it comes to CCD , your Vet will go by the description you give of any changes in the dogs life. For instance , some dogs may stare at walls or get stuck in corners, some may forget which side of the door they go out of , some may seemingly forget all of their potty training,etc.

I am going to direct you to links on seizure activities as there are different components to seizures and some effect the personality such as you are seeing. The only way to be sure regarding any of the above would be through a visit to your Vet for testing or diagnosis.

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/idiopathic-epilepsy-in-dogs/page1.aspx