Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My female Cane Corso first got locked up with my male on…

Customer Question
My female Cane Corso...

My female Cane Corso first got locked up with my male on august 6th. I feel like I should be seeing signs of pregnancy by now. Her nipples are a little swollen but thats pretty much it. her tummy doesn't look big like I would think it would be. Shouldn't I be seeing more signs of pregnancy by the size of her tummy by now?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the Cane Corso's name?

Octane

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Octane?

No she's completely healthy :-)

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/26/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian replied 10 months ago
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I calculate that Octane would be 51 days pregnant, and dogs are pregnant about 63 days. She should be "showing" and having an enlarged belly, but if she only has one or two puppies it may not be obvious.

You can get an Xray taken to see if she is pregnant, and how many puppies there are, if any.

It is not unusual for dogs to have a "false pregnancy" and have enlarged nipples, and even make milk.

Let me know if this is helpful and what other questions you may have.

I counted from the first day she locked up with my male. She kept locking up for about a week and a half. is there any way the time period could be off. I was really looking forward to this litter.

You count days from when she was bred. You could be off if your date is off. If she was bred August 6, that was 51 days ago.

I always recommend an Xray. Then you know if she is pregnant, and how many puppies to expect.

When was the last day they tied? If she only got pregnant on that day, she may be less than 51 days.

Was my answer helpful? Can I answer any other questions?

How did it work out with Octane?

Was my answer helpful?

Kindly consider rating my answer (smiley faces or stars) if this helped!