Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Weakness in the rear end. The immediate answer is he's

Customer Question
Weakness in the rear...

Weakness in the rear end

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?

The immediate answer is he's losing strength/control in his rear end. It's bad today...but the symptoms started 2 years ago when I left him with a vet I was unfamiliar with.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the dog seem to hurt?

It's just weakness in the rear end. He collapsed in the rear today after a short walk.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

No wound on foot

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Lukas

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lukas?

He is a 12 year old Dane. He was always a strong dog - we used to walk 6 - 10 miles daily. In 2010 he srtarted to have shortness of breath at the end of the walks. I took him to a vet. They said he needed to go to the heart specialist...so I went to the specialist The specialist was not there but another vet wanted to keep him "for observation". I don't know what they did to Lukas - when I picked him up later - he had a knot near his spine in his hip area that was not there before. The day before I went to those vets we did our usual 6 mile walk - and ended at the dog park where Lukas ran around. The day after Ipicked Lukas up - he has not taken another running step. We can only walk a few hundred feet. Not miles. And he has been weak for the past two years. But today - he is not able to even walk a few hundred feet. Yesterday and today - he seems to be declining.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/27/2017
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 10 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

When was Lukas last examined?

Is he on any medication at this time?

Did the cardiologist ever work him up at the visit you mentioned?

Do you happen to have a copy of the receipt from that visit detailing what was done?

Lukas was last examined in May. He was given anti-inflammatories and anti bacterials at the time. He has used those prescriptions. Since then I've kept him on OTC Joint Supplements.Cardiologist - The cardiologist never saw him. I spent a $1000 for them to tell me to come back when the cardiologist was available. Monitoring - I believe their monitorin was to put him on a treadmill and run him till he dropped. I think the bump on his hip came from them inserting a needle and is the source of his weakness. He didn't have major issues when I took him there. He did when I picked him up. I feel powerless to help him.
I don't mean to be negative...if you can't assist - please refund my money

Did the medications last May assist him at all?

Have any x-rays of the neck, spine or hips thus far?

Are you hearing any coughing or persistent panting?

Can you share a picture of the lump you mention over the hip?

We are addressing two different vet visits here...Yes the medications in May helped him. To my knowledge, they did not specifically xray neck spine or hips.After the "vet visit" where all his problems began occurred in 2015 - he started making a gagging sound he was not making before the visit. I'll try to get a pic of the lump...I've already "settled" him for the day....he did climb the stairs on his on today.