Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My Husky had a bleeding lump just above the anus (between…

Customer Question
My Husky had a...

My Husky had a bleeding lump just above the anus (between anus and base of the tail).

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your husky?

Yes. Veterinary surgeon examined and said biopsy is only way to know for certain what it is. But because it is small, no longer bleeding, and not bothering him, surgeon said we could wait and monitor. Everything has been fine for a month, and the hair that was shaved in the area has grown back. We thought the growth had gone away. But just yesterday I noticed some new bleeding in the same area after he had a bowel movement. Bleeding has stopped and he is not bothered by it, but wondering what to do.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 4 days by:
10/1/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 10 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

How long has it been present?

Did his vet do any testing besides suggesting biopsy?

Can you take a photo of this to let me see what you are seeing? To post a photo, you can use the paper clip button on the tool bar above the text box. Or if you cannot see that on your phone/computer, then you can post them on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web link here for me to have a peek.

Hi Dr B.,
Thank you for your response. We have had two thorough veterinary exams by highly respected doctors. The vet said it did not feel like a "mass,"but recommended a consult with a surgeon. The surgeon offered 3 possible options: #1. removal/biopsy. #2.fine needle biopsy. #3. wait and observe. He judged the lump to be small - about the size of a pea, and said that, in his experience, these types of growths are usually benign, and sometimes break open or go away or on their own. After weighing the options, we decided to just keep an eye on things for now. I just gave my husky a bath and tried to see what is going on with his backside. His fur has grown back (the vet had shaved the area), making it hard to see the skin, but even under careful examination,I was unable to see or feel anything of a lump in the area. (I would take a photo for you, but there isn't anything visible). However, he did have some grass stains around the area, and the skin around the opening of the anus looks irritated. We caught him rubbing his backside on the ground in the yard several days ago. Since then, we have been watching him carefully, and have not seen this behavior repeated lately. Other than the irritation, there is no bleeding or discharge, and it does not appear to be causing him any discomfort, even when touched. Is there anything you would suggest doing right now?Should I apply anything to the irritated area? I would really appreciate your input. Thank you!