Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Is it okay to give my French some Benadryl? She is so itchy…

Customer Question
Is it okay to...

Is it okay to give my French some Benadryl? She is so itchy today and nothing seems to be working.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?

She is a French Bulldog

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the bulldog's name and age?

She has a red eczema like problem on her feet and her one ear. I don't think it is fleas. It's an ongoing allergic problem we have had with her.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the bulldog?

This clears up and then flares up again. I fed her a little bit of hamburger and it seemed to have made it worse. Grass makes it worse as well.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/26/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Sally G., Dog Training Consultant replied 8 months ago
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you.

If you are going to use benadryl be sure it is for allergy only and not the allergy sinus. I will direct you to a link for dosing. Zyrtec can also be used and sometimes works better. Again be sure to get the right kind. I will direct you to a link for that as well to assist you and so you can bookmark it for future use;)

If it gets worse for the dog there is medication called apoquel that your Vet can prescribe that takes that itch away,

Benadryl http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl

zyrtec

It may take 3-5 days of regular dosing to see the most improvement:

http://www.veterinaryplace.com/dog-medicine/zyrtec-for-dogs/