Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She started coughing up bloody mucus this morning. (20-30…

Customer Question
She started coughing up...

She started coughing up bloody mucus this morning. (20-30 times) she is sleeping now but wheezing loudly.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?

Savanna is 1 year and eats everything she finds. I suspect rat blocks I put out a week ago. They were well hidden but she is constantly searching for something to chew

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Savanna?

She hasn't eaten since yesterday and in fact vomited a few times yesterday.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/26/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 9 months ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hi. My name is***** I'm sorry to hear that Savanna isn't feeling well. I'm going to be extremely serious here and say that if she is coughing up some mucous that has blood and you have rat blocks out, then the suspicion for a rat poison ingestion that is causing bleeding definitely is there. If this is the case, she needs to be seen by your vet right now. These toxicities have a definite treatment for them, but it must be started in time. Could it be something else? This would be the most serious thing that needs to be ruled out. They can check some blood to see if she has an increased clotting time. If it is normal, then they can start to focus on other things. Vomiting isn't typical with rat poison ingestion situations, so could she have some other infectious issue (parvo always gets brought up with young ones like this). Could she have a lung infection / pneumonia?

We watched her dig and eat something around a large tree, it may have been a toad stool

Mushrooms / toad stools can definitely cause some gastrointestinal upset. They can sometimes be neurologic in clinical signs too.

She has been wheezing the last week or so. I hear her as she sleeps

The breathing like she is, that could be a primary lung related issue. Lung parasites or an infection could cause coughing with some blood in it.

I have chickens and she eats there feed and poo never bothered her before

It may not be that ingestion of the the chicken feed and stools.

Should I give her Panicure or Ivermectin

If she's vomiting and not eating, it wouldn't' seem that either would be helpful.

Is there something I can do for her?

Can you get her to your vet? They can check her over. Again, if there is that chance of the rat poison, if she is bleeding because of it, she needs their help immediately or else she most likely won't make it.