Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have 2 puppies 4 months old they have had 2 rounds ofvtge…

Customer Question
I have 2 puppies...

I have 2 puppies 4 months old they have had 2 rounds ofvtge 5 way shots and they are not eating one throwing up water looking and the other has diarrhea that looks very bloody.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the puppy eat anything unusual?

Not that I seen. They were very playful Sunday and Sunday night not so much

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the puppy's name?

Marshall and Goldie

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/26/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peck, Dog Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Peck
Dr. Peck, Dog Veterinarian
Greetings, I'm Dr. Peck, a small animal veterinarian in general practice. Hopefully I might be of some help. A minute while I type my reply...
Even with having vaccinations the first concern needs to be for parvovirus enteritis when we have a puppy of this age having bloody diarrhea. I would suggest you get them both in asap to be tested for parvo. If they are negative, the next likely thing is going to be internal parasites. They can be treated for parasites and have a fecal sample checked out. Other treatments would depend on assessment by the attending veterinarian. For example outpatient therapy with an antidiarrheal and other supportive GI meds, vs. hospitalizing on fluids if bigger concerns are present on exam.I wouldn't suggest waiting or trying something at home for a few days in this situation. Parvo test asap, then decide on further testing/treatments from that point.
Let me know if you have additional questions and I'll happily followup as I'm able.Please kindly be sure to rate using the stars. This insures I receive credit for helping answer your question today, it is the only way professionals that help people on this site are compensated for their time. Thanks! - Dr. Peck.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Samuel Peck
Dr. Peck
Dr. Peck
Dr. Peck, Dog Veterinarian