Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dear old dog [14 y o] is undergoing her first? dental…

Customer Question
My dear old dog...

My dear old dog [14 y o] is undergoing her first? dental cleaning. She was found roaming the country roads of Chatham County, NC by my daughter, so I don't know her health care history. I suspect she didn't have much if any. The previous owners 'put her out' as they were moving and couldn't take her where they were going, they told her, once they saw the 'flyer' my daughter put it out. Anyway, she is at Banfield and they called to say her liver enzymes were elevated [slightly higher than when I took her in 02/17] . Any idea as to what may cause this?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?

She is 14, had dental cleaning today and blood work indicated this. She sleeps a lot, but always eager to go out [~5x/day]. But not playful at all, but very sweet.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?

Her 'new name is Stella!

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Stella?

Not that I can think of.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/26/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Linda, Dog Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Linda. I hope I can help with your question today.

I am sorry for your concerns about Stella's liver values, but in all honesty, this is a very common finding in aging animals.

The liver, while a marvelous organ capable of regenerating damaged tissue, will eventually & over time develop some scarring from years of what it is supposed to do, filter out toxic wastes. Then, there are a slew of hepatopathies that may or may not have any real consequences in a dog this old. If liver values were just slightly elevated ( and I would guess this included SGPT, ALT, & GGT ), she is eating well, & there has been no recent weight loss, then this should only require periodic monitoring. A recheck in 3 months, then maybe every 6 months. If you are truly concerned, an ultrasound of the liver may be indicated. It may just show some vacuolated changes indicative of aging, or something more significant. One thing that is frequently recommended is a neutraceutical called Denamarin. This is a combination of SAMe and Silybin ( milk thistle ) that help protect liver cells from ongoing cell death. The addition of omega 3 fatty acids may be useful as well.

So, if this was an incidental finding just because of the dentistry, & the procedure was completed despite the elevated liver values, then this is probably a good reason to be watchful, & start the Denamarin.

I hope this makes sense & you find the information useful Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Thank you.

Dog Veterinarian: Dr Linda, Dog Veterinarian replied 7 months ago

Hello again. Just checking to see if you have any additional questions for me. If you are satisfied with my response, please do not forget to rate this as it is the only way I can receive credit for my efforts.

Thank you.

Dr Linda
Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Dog Veterinarian