Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dr. suggests that when choosing a good pet food, she chooses…

Customer Question
Dr. Maria suggests that...

Dr. Maria suggests that when choosing a good pet food, she chooses food that she has seen consistently producing healthy coats and solid stools. I am looking to purchase a kibble to add to my dogs home made dog food. I make my dogs food. Rice, Chicken, Carrots, Sweet Potatoes, Apple Sauce, All cooked prior to mixing together. I feel they would benefit from some kibble added. We have experienced pancreatitis previously and I'm extremely nervous about adding processed foods for my dogs. Bloody diarrhea is not what I want ever again. Dr. Maria Suggested Royal Canin, Hill's and Iams. Please advise. Thanks

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. How old is Carrots?

All products are fresh or frozen. Only use frozen carrots, frozen sweet potatoes, frozen chicken breast,

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Carrots?

All Frozen products. No fresh carrots. All cooked prior to use.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/26/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

I definitely understand your fears. I suspect that Dr. Maria is advising one of the prescription foods with the name brands you have listed and since Iams no longer sells prescription diets that leaves us with the Royal Canin GI Low Fat diet which I have great success with or the Hill's I/D formula low fat alternatively.

I have a handful of chronic pancreatitis cases on the Royal Canin GI Low Fat formula successfully for a few years now and use it on my pets when I have loose stool and it is effective for them as well

As for over the counter foods, it is challenging to find an over the counter food with limited fat/ higher fiber for this purpose but you do want a low fat formula <13% dry matter if at all possible but my clients have looked and have had limited ability to find something that meets this criteria.

I hope this helps but please let me know how else I can assist you today. If you do add in a dry food with a dog with a history of gi upset then please do so VERY slowly, over several weeks to transition this into her meals

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both, I am online another 30 minutes tonight

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian