Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is a Border Collie. She is 12 years old. She has

Customer Question
My dog is a...

My dog is a Border Collie. She is 12 years old. She has severe arthritis in her hip and leg on the right side. Took her to vet and she was put on pain pills. Now she is really shakey on both back legs, and can hardly walk. Should I take her off pain pills for awhile to see if the shakiness stops? This just came up on her all at once

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

Yes, the vet did xrays on her, and checked her out. Said she had severe arthritis, and all they could do was keep her comfortable on pain pills

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name?

Daisy

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Daisy?

She is overweight, but she still eats good, and drinks good, so we don't want to have to put her down, but we don't want her in pain

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/26/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hi. My name is***** Thank you for your question about Daisy. What pain medication is she on? How long has she been on it? Is she still eating and drinking well?

daisy is on VETEPROFEN/CARPIEVE-100 MG 2X DAY. YES, SHE IS EATING GOOD, AND DRINKING GOOD. SHE HAS BEEN ON HER PAIN PILLS FOR 2 WKS

Thank you for that information. The Vetprofen is an NSAID that helps a lot with arthritis type discomfort. I'm going to be honest here and say that it shouldn't cause weakness or ataxia because of it. I wouldn't feel that it is the root of the current shaking and hardly being able to walk. On the contrary, it is most likely helping her to not be worse. Unfortunately those with severe arthritis, the discomfort / disease itself is progressive. The Vetprofen is helping to control the discomfort as best as possible. But, the disease progresses and they typically need more medications added into the mix. Here is a good link on the other medications for arthritis that can be used.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=587

One thought I had while typing - look at her eyes and see if they are moving from side to side or if they are normal. IF they are moving from side to side, then a vestibular event would be suspect.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian