Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My Boxer was running fast when I took her to the park & now…

Customer Question
My Boxer was running...

My Boxer was running fast when I took her to the park & now limping. How can I tell if she has a broken bone/muscle tear?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

Yes that is the first place I check since sometimes she has something stuck on her foot

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name?

Chloe 7 year old Boxer & very active. people think she is still a puppy

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Chloe?

Nope very healthy & she had epulis which was taken care of year ago but looks like it may be coming back. I brush her teeth religiously so, she does not need regular dental cleaning except for the epulis issue

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/26/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hi. My name is***** Thank you for your question about Chloe. Which leg is she limping on? Is she putting a good amount of weight on it?

right front leg & light pressure when she walks
Can not use phone at the moment. please text me

Sorry about the phone prompt as that was the system and not me. Alright, if she's placing a good deal of weight on that leg, then the chance of something being broke or torn seems pretty small. The back leg is where a tear of a ligament is much, much more likely with this history. Other possibilities for a limp with the front leg are something between the digits, a paw pad injury or a toe nail injury. At this time, again if a lot of weight is being placed on that leg, then the chance of a fracture would seem very, very small. Rest and 24 hours of time can improve a lot of the soft tissue injuries where the leg just gets hit / bent wrong at a joint.

Chloe was always active! Her favorite thing to do is paddleboarding, fishing and swimming with the Dolphins in the ocean. She still runs very fast when she is at the park. She had a sleepover at friend's house where similar incident happened about 2 months ago & they took her to the Vet & was examined & had an x ray but no broken bones. She recovered after 3 weeks or so & I give her Glyco flex every day now with umeric paste for dogs I made

She sounds like a very active dog! She's doing all my favorite water related activities! Could she have some arthritis in a joint that is getting flared up? If she's not improving or if this keeps happening, a recheck would be a good idea. I would have high hopes that with rest and time things improve again.

That is an awesome picture!!!! Time and rest seem to be a very good option at this time.

How is Chloe doing today?

Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian