Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Front leg giving out when my Dachshund walks she is only 11…

Customer Question
Front leg giving out...

Front leg giving out when my Dachshund walks she is only 11 but is overweight

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

She has been to vet twice and he is saying laser treatments (which had 1st one yesterday ) he says if that dont work will probably need to put down but I cannot see putting her down for that she is still eating and drinking and shows no sign of pain

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Toots

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Toots?

Yes the vet says she has a somewhat enlarged heart and liver, have started her on lite dog food

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/26/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I AM NOT SET UP TO MAKE PHONE CALLS AND DO NOT SEND THE REQUESTS, BUT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ONLINE. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately. If you have not responded back in 10 minutes, it may be a longer before I can get back to you. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

How long has this been going on for?

Did your vet take any x-rays of that limb or run any blood work?

Is she on any medication for this? If so, what medications?

About 2 weeks and he gave her steroids and antibiotics did x-rays and saw nothing on front legs but said 2 or 3 disc's in her back were a little close

Thanks for the information. With her being a Dachshund, my first thought is that there may be a laterally herniated disc in the neck or cranial thorax (where the front limbs come off of). Unfortunately, you are not going to be able to see that without an MRI or CT scan. Weight loss will be key here. That is the most important part. I would probably keep on an anti-inflammatory, preferably a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory if it will be long term. It may help to put her on something like gabapentin or methocarbamol as well. Sometimes changes on an x-ray will lag behind clinical signs, so there could still be an orthopedic issue. If this is only happening from time to time, I would say that it most likely isn't time to euthanize. If she cannot walk on it without it giving out, then that may be something that has to be considered. At the very least, I would ask for a consult to either a veterinary orthopedist or neurologist before deciding on something like that. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Dog Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 7 months ago

Hello. I was just following up to see how Toots is doing and to see if you have any other questions.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian