Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Puppy 9 weeks old got into my purse and ate ibuprofen,

Customer Question
Puppy 9 weeks old...

Puppy 9 weeks old got into my purse and ate ibuprofen, betahistamine, protonics, n melocicam...what do i do for him?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

Tank. He's a lab pup.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Tank?

No. He's pretty healthy except he likes to eat stuff he shouldn't

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/26/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- How much does he weigh?

2- How many milligrams were the pills?

3- How many of each pill did he eat?

4- How long has it been since he ate them?

5- Do you have hydrogen peroxide 3%?

Pup weighs approximately 7#He ate 8 200mg ibuprofen, 3 25mg Meloxicam, 8 40mg pantoprazole, and 12 4mg betahistine dihydrochloridea. It's been 40 minutes since he ate them and yes we have peroxide 3%

Please give me 5 minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Friend, the amount of Ibuprofen and Meloxicam he ate for his size will likely cause renal failure. I would strongly recommend trying to make him vomit with peroxide. If you do not see all of the pills in the vomit take him to the nearest veterinarian immediately for supportive care. This is what you can do:

1- Give him 1 teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide orally to induce vomiting.

2- Allow him to walk for a minute and move his belly to mix stomach content with peroxide. If he does not vomit within 5-10 minutes, repeat it again. Can give a total of 3 times 5-10 minutes apart.

3- If you do not see all the pills in the vomit or he does not vomit take him to the nearest veterinarian immediately for supportive care.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian