Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 12.5 year old Weimaraner who seems to have a heck…

Customer Question
I have a 12.5 year...
I have a 12.5 year old Weimaraner who seems to have a heck of a time getting hematomas in his ears. He had 3 surgeries on his left ear to finally fix it because it kept coming back, and had one surgery on his right ear. It looked as if the right ear was fixed fine for several weeks. Then yesterday, his right ear blew up again with another hematoma. I really don't want to put him through another surgery, but I also know that it's painful for him. What do I do???? Will the blood absorb back into his ear/body and disappear on its own or must I put him through his 5th hematoma operation? Help. And thanks.
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/26/2017
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 8 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) Does DaVinci have chronic issues with his ears, such as ear infections?
2) During what time span have these 4+ operations been needed?
3) Does he shake his head relentlessly or do they appear without much trauma?
4) Have any medications been given at the same time as the surgery was performed?

1) Not particularly. They need cleaned and medicated every so often with Animax as needed
2) Right ear was done a couple of months ago (same ear now with the hematoma). The 3 on his left eard were probably between 1 and 2 years ago
3) It's not relentlessly. I've had dogs all my life and it's not anymore than what I'd call normal
4) Cephalexin antibiotic and Novox

To answer your question, yes, most often the body will heal a hematoma with time. Unfortunately, this seldom leaves the ear flat and looking normal. It usually crinkles down on itself and can make addressing future hematomas difficult. Alternately, you can talk to your vet about low dose steroid therapy. This will not be a fast fix, but it does often allow the ear to heal without surgery and leaves it with a more flat, uniform appearance. I would also talk to your vet about bloodwork to check his clotting factors and discuss the potential of food allergies since this tends to be a common problem and there may be an underlying cause for the chronic issue.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in. How is Davinci?