Dr. G.
Dr. G., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Private Practice Veterinarian
71397578

My small dog has a horsey cough followed by a gaging, She

My small dog has a horsey cough followed by a gaging, She doesnt vomit but has in the past
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: No, this has been going on for a couple months but now its 4-5 times a day and getting worse.
JA: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Zanzy, She is a mixed Chawawa and we dont now the other half
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: She had Hip surgery when she was One, But has been very Healthy the rest of the time, What concerns us most is the Horesy cough is getting worse.

Hello, my name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will try and help you as best as I can.

Please allow a few minutes for me to read your responses and for me to respond back.

I am sorry to hear your dog is having this problem.

I see this has been going on for a couple months now.

What has been tried so far? Has your dog had any x-rays of the neck and chest or have any medications been tried yet by your vet?

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
We are concerned about her Horsey Cough and Gaging getting Worse,It was only ever so often But now its 4-5 times a day and before we spend $65.00 for a Office Visit we would like a Online Advice.

I see.

Typically with a small breed dog my biggest concern is tracheal collapse. This is a condition where the trachea is a little bit softer and weaker than normal. This is very common in toy breed dogs and their mixes. Generally, treatment is with cough suppressants if needed, or with different medications to help with reducing airway inflammation. Sometimes surgery is also an option (last resort). This could also be an allergic cough (allergies are pretty bad at this time of year for many dogs), which would be resposive to benadryl (at a dose of 1mg per pound of body weight twice daily). Heart disease is a possibility, and a good exam and x-rays can help diagnose this. Kennel cough (infection of the trachea and upper airway) can also cause the same signs.

One option you can do is to try to avoid any pressure on her neck (use a body harness) and start with the benadryl and see if she improves. If there is no improvement after a day or two, a vet visit is going to be the best way to figure out what is going wrong. They may be able to diagnose things just on exam findings, but they may also recommend x-rays of the neck and chest depending on what they find.

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
We were going to take her to our vet tommorow, we have not tried anything yet. It seemed like it was getting better but now its worse

I would recommend having her seen today or tomorrow. I think it is unlikely to be infectious if it has been going on this long. I think this is most likely tracheal collapse, but I want to make sure this is not heart disease which can look similar to tracheal collapse in many ways.

Avoid too much time outside for now until she is seen and make sure there is no pressure on her neck. I think she would benefit from some benadryl as well until she can be seen.

if she is bringing up fluid when she coughs or if she has any nasal discharge, I would have her seen today.

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Nothing is being discharged her nose is dry if that matters

The dry/wet nose thing doesn't really tell you anything, however no nasal discharge is another sign that this is likely not infectious.

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Thank You for your time you have been very Help full.

You are very welcome. I wish you both the best. Have a wonderful day!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. G.