Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 8 year old boxer has pancreatitis and was given

Customer Question
amoxicillin 750 mg twice a...
My 8 year old boxer has pancreatitis and was given amoxicillin 750 mg twice a day. After 24 hours of the meds his urine turned dark brown. I took him back o the vet yesterday and they gave him fluids today he wont get up and is very lethargic. The vet sebt a sample of his urine to a lab for testing. I'm at a loss
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/26/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Severe methemoglobinuria produces chocolate brown discoloration of the urine. Methemoglobinemia - accumulation of methemoglobin (an oxidized/damaged form of hemoglobin) in the blood - is the cause of the methemoglobinuria and is often seen accompanying hemolytic anemia or has been caused by drug toxicity as seen with acetaminophen, benzocaine, phenazopyridine, or zinc. A complete diagnostic panel of blood and urine tests is essential at this time. Your boxer should be hospitalized on critical care. His complete blood count (CBC) should be carefully examined for evidence of autoimmune hemolytic anemia - the presence of autoagglutination, spherocytes, and positive Coombs and ANA tests. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian