Dr. G.
Dr. G., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Private Practice Veterinarian
71397578

I just went to touch his belly to rub it and he has little

I just went to touch his belly to rub it and he has little chicken pox spots all over
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Choppa is 5 and a cane corso
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Choppa?
Customer: No he is great

Hello, my name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will try and help you as best as I can.

Please allow a few minutes for me to read your responses and for me to respond back.

I am sorry to hear Choppa is having this problem. I will need a little more information to better help you.

How long has this been going on and has he had any treatment?

Are the spots itchy?

Has he had this problem before?

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
He was on this natural balance food for a while I just changed him to taste of
The wild yesterday since I got full
Custody of him. He has been trying to itch his tail for a while and is shedding a lot of a short breed

I see. The skin looks very irritated.

This can be most often secondary to allergies, either a contact sensitivity (like a new chemical or fabric), a food intolerance (perhaps the recent food change), or an environmental inhaled allergen (different pollens, grasses, dust mites, etc). Fleas can also cause this and can be quite bad in September if your dog is not on really good flea medication (generally not anything you get over the counter).

How much does Choppa weigh?

Has he had this problem before?

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
He has never had it this bad but I notice we had been feeding him that food for a while and he started losing weight and getting these spots he is only 109 now
Customer: replied 25 days ago.
It’s mostly at night he really itches him

I see.

I suspect this is due to an environmental or food allergy. I would start with benadryl (at a dose of 1mg per pound of body weight twice daily) and bathe him about 3 times a week with normal dog shampoo. If he is not improving over the next couple days, he might need steroids and antibiotics to get things under control. Make sure he is on good flea/tick prevention from your vet as well, just to rule out any possible flea allergy.

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
Any brands of flea and tick shampoo you would recommend?

I would not use flea/tick shampoo as it really is a bit of a waste of money. I would just use an oatmeal shampoo to bathe him. For flea and tick prevention I recommend using one of the oral medications: either Nexgard or Simparica. Simparica is a little bit cheaper than nexgard, so that is typically what I recommend. These two also treat and prevent mange, which in some areas like mine can be very common.