Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My female dog has had loose bowels (diaria) for 4 days

My female dog has...

My female dog has had loose bowels (diaria) for 4 days (black) is there any home remedies i can do now ? She is drinking ok and eating ?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?

I need something to stop(or help ) now..

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the dog seem to hurt?

No

Veterinarian's Assistant: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?

I think she just got a hold of some bad food. I cook chix w/veggies once a week to mix w / dry food, but I think the chic was no good

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

Called and she is around 8 she is a rescue so age isn't certain. I've had her for 4 years, give or take

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

Callie is her name

Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Just waiting for the vets answer
How long will this take ? I need some kind of a home remedy to help her now thank you
9/26/2017
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Thank you. Are you a computer vet ?

I will also be pleased to call you on the phone, Please accept the phone call request and I will call you back right way.

I am a fully qualified vet with many years experience in treating dogs ...

Thank you, ***** ***** calls this late. Everyone is asleep. But thanks

No problem, would you still like a written reply ?

No not if you can just type it. That's fine.

No problem, just starting to type out your answer now ...

Hello again,

Sorry to hear Callie is unwell, hopefully this is not so serious, but of course this sort of thing is always a gamble so if you want to be 100% sure you are doing the right thing you should have a vet check her over without delay. But that said that there are a number of home remedies for diarrhoea in the dog which some owners try while waiting for their vet's appointment. These can often work well for uncomplicated cases where for example a dog has eaten something she should not have out in the yard, or has had some unaccustomed rich foodstuff, or has somehow acquired a minor tummy bug. Here are some examples.

1. I am aware that some owners use Pepto-Bismol to treat their dogs with gastro-enteritis and report success. Here is a link to a web page which has all the information you might need including dose rates : LINK

2. Some owners try and control the situation with diet alone before they try anything else. This is logical and often works, the basis of this is to give the intestinal tract a complete rest and then bring it back slowly to function, resting the alimentary tract is the critical factor. It would go something like this ...

A. Starve her for 24 hours but make sure she has access to water and is drinking.

B. The next day feed her four or five small light meals in the day. These meals should be the likes of chicken, fish, scrambled egg etc. with a little rice.

C. If she picks up on this diet gradually reintroduce her normal diet over the next few days.

3. Live yogurt added to the food can often help. Some gastro-enteritis situations are caused by an imbalance in the bacteria in your dog's gut. Live yogurt is full of " good " bacteria and will seed them into your dog's intestinal tract and restore the balance. You do not need to give much, one teaspoon twice a day is fine for very small dogs ranging up to two tablespoons twice a day for very large dogs.

Of course if any of the above does not quickly start to work or if she deteriorates further in any way you should have your vet check her over just to be on the safe side. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Callie's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Just a short note to thank you very much for the good rating, this is very much appreciated.

Please let me know how things go ...

Kindest regards,

Dr Scott

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?