Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Pug holding her head up, almost to point she is tilting it…

Customer Question
Pug holding her head...

Pug holding her head up, almost to point she is tilting it backwards. She cannot shelter down and go to sleep.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?

Rosie. She is 4 years old.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Rosie?

Corn allergy.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/26/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner and I'm sorry to hear of this with Rosie. Her head posture often indicates encephalopathy (brain disorder) particularly if you're also seeing a change in her mentation (mental status) and other indications of a brain disorder such as aimless wandering, circling, wall hugging, and becoming trapped in corners. Pugs are overrepresented with a severe form of meningoencephalitis (necrotizing). Rosie's vet will want to perform a thorough physical and neurologic exam and may elect to refer Rosie to a specialist veterinary neurologist (www.acvim.org) who is best equipped to perform the advanced diagnostics - MRI and cerebrospinal fluid tap/analysis - needed in such a patient. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?