Samuel Peck
Samuel Peck,
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian at Meadow Hill's
98574077

Well my 9 year old chihuahua seems to have trouble

Well my 9 year old chihuahua seems to have trouble defecating sometimes. She appears to strain and hunch her back and nothing will happen. Other times she defecates without incident and occasionally there will be some bright red blood. She doesn't seem to have pain or diminished appetite or lethargy. Her behavior is completely normal.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: She doesn't have any lethargy
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: She seems to have a lot of flatulence???

Greetings, I’m Dr. Peck, a small animal veterinarian in general practice. Hopefully I might be of some help. One moment while I reply…

Disclaimer: This communication is for discussion purposes only. Without seeing an animal in person, a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship does not exist, and therefore I am unable to diagnose, prognose, or treat. Any comments made during discussion here are based on the information provided and are simply my thoughts regarding what I’d be considering were this type of case presented to me in person. The BEST recommendation for ANY veterinary-related concern is to seek veterinary assessment in person with your local veterinarian.

With this sort of presentation I'd suggest a few things...

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
What do you suggest?
Customer: replied 26 days ago.
I am good with this format

First off, I'd do a complete physical examination. Given the concern here, this would include rectal palpation/exam to check for any abnormalities.

If all is normal there, I'd suggest a fecal parasite check to look for evidence of internal parasites that could be related to these issues.

I'd also suggest some routine labwork (bloodwork, urinalysis) to assess internal organ function. The reason for this is dogs with other concurrent disease will sometimes run a bit dehydrated and be thus predisposed to constipation issues.

If all checked out very normally, we might then look at a diet change, intestinal lubricants like lactulose, adding fiber to meals, etc. to help with the constipation. It's a common senior dog issue, which for a small breed dog 9 years old is considered almost a senior, and often times some minor changes like a change in diet or giving lactulose as-needed will suffice to manage the issues.

The site automatically offers phone calls, I'm good with this format as well. :)

Let me know if you have any follow-up questions, simply write me back! Otherwise, please be sure to kindly rate using the stars, so that I receive credit for helping with your question today (this is how professionals on this site are compensated for their time). Thanks! – Dr. Peck.

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
I understand about the phone calls, thank you! :)
She is going in Friday to be checked out. If she were in any distress or seemed to even feel bad in the slightest I wouldn't wait. Just was trying to do some research on how to help her and this site came up. Thank you very much for the information! Lola thanks you as well.

You are very welcome, thank you kindly for rating. I hope Lola is feeling better soon. Have a great week! - Dr. Peck.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Samuel Peck