Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 6 month old terrier mix. He's been throwing up food…

Customer Question
Hi I have a 6...
Hi I have a 6 month old terrier mix. He's been throwing up food hunkcs lately. The vet said he's ok and just to feed him smaller portions but he still threw up tonight. It was significantly less thoughZ
Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/26/2017
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 9 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Have there been any changes to the diet? New food, including a change of flavors or protein source within the same brand? New treats? Bones? Has any human food been fed? Torn up toys or trash? Stressful changes to the environment?

No changes to diet or treats. No human food or anything. The only things I can think of is I take him more places now since he's my emotional support dog. Also he had a big fall down stairs this week (took him to the vet he was ok) but he had been having this issue before that. He seems to eat really really fast and doesn't fully chew his food and he will burp after he eats. He doesn't always throw up but when he does he like dry heaves and some comes up undigested. I attached a photo of what it looks like. I have tried feeding him smaller amount throughout the day so it's a lot less now. His food is Eubanka brand for puppies. I moisten it with water and heat it up for 15 seconds

Did your vet perform any diagnostics?

When did this first begin?

Has your vet discussed using a special bowl to slow down his rate at which he eats?

Is he on any medication at this time?

This started in the middle of last week. The vet checked a feces sample, his temperatures, performed a physica, and took X-rays. He gave him vetprofen since he had the fall. He didn't discuss feeder options

There are bowls on the market intended to slow dogs down who are speed eaters: https://www.chewy.com/qt-dog-brake-fast-stainless-steel/dp/132964?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=f&utm_content=QT%20Dog&utm_term=&gclid=CjwKCAjw0qLOBRBUEiwAMG5xMGxPdRqx3fK0TXz_9sAGRkHBghxCmERrmyrNbV-Ub0RzInTr9rq6QxoCWAIQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds You can buy them online and even find them in a myriad of pet stores.

To help with the vomiting, you can administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. This should help with GI symptoms. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful. If your companion is avoiding taking medication, you will likely need to using a pilling technique like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P6NfbxeLX0 (this video is of a dog as it shows the finer details of how to complete the action, this method can be used in dogs, cats and other mammals needing oral medications). If you need to use this more than 3 times a week to help with the vomiting after also using the bowl to slow down his pace for eating, I would urge you to schedule a recheck with your vet and possibly schedule a barium series to ensure there's nothing structurally wrong causing the vomiting to occur. More often than not slowing a dog's ingestion of food to a reasonable pace and allowing them to have water at least 1 hour following so they don't induce vomiting will help greatly in this age of dog.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in. How is Chewbacca today?

Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 8 months ago

I'm just following up on our conversation about Chewbacca. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy